Using Your Portable Generator Safely
We all have been there when the power in your home or business decides to shut off caused by bad weather or a community outage. The first thing you think about is how to take action to find a power source to get you back up and running. Many businesses and residential properties have the convenience of a backup generator located nearby. With operation of a generator do you know the first things to keep in mind to staying safe while using one?
If you have a generator on hand for power outages during severe weather, follow the safety tips below from the American Red Cross:
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
- To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use in rain or wet conditions. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
- Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Although CO can’t be seen or smelled, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
- Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home or property and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
If you have an emergency and need our help fast call us immediately!
SERVPRO of NE Grand Rapids provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in NE Grand Rapids area we can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (616) 647-4300