Things to look for to prevent an Ice Dam on your roof this winter season
Every year we deal with an excessive amount of snow and cold temperatures that take a toll on your property. When the snow falls the last thing that you think about are ice dams that form on your home and the damage that they can cause. With some steps of prevention and things to look for you can save a lot of headache and money this winter season.
Things to look for when you suspect you have an ice dam problem:
- You see icicles forming behind the gutter
- Ice or water starts to form on the siding or around windows
- Ice begins to build on top of the gutters or lower edge of roof
- You see icicles forming on the edge of your roof this can be with or without gutters
- Ice begins coming through the soffit vents or through the soffit itself.
- PREVENTING ICE DAMS
- You can scrape snow from the roof whenever it falls, using a snow rake or a broom or plastic shovel. Keeping the access snow from building up on the edge of the roof.
- Heated cables are another prevention tip for ice dams. Attached with clips along the roof's edge in a zigzag pattern, heated cables combat ice dams that lift shingles and cause leaks
These simple tips and things to look for will make it easier to know what the next steps are when dealing with water leaks in your home. Prevention is the key focus but sometimes the damage is done to the home and you need help cleaning up the water that made its way in from your roof and that’s where SERVPRO of NE Grand Rapids comes in and helps you make it "Like it never even happened."
About SERVPRO of NE Grand Rapids
SERVPRO of NE Grand Rapids specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.